midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

BJ Parker Passes Away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: BJ Parker Passes Away Reply with quote

We lost a great innovator of the sport, and a great friend last night, as Mr. BJ Parker passed away. I only get to talk with BJ a few times, but I learned something everytime that I did. Here's a story about him:

- Ben

The Southern All Stars Lose Their Founding Father

By Lynn Acklin

FAYETTEVILLE, TN—The Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series family lost its founding father late last night when B J Parker of Graysville, AL., passed away after a long time fight with cancer.

Parker started the Southern All Star Dirt Racing Series in 1983 after he got of the weekly track promoting in and around the Birmingham, AL., and developed a dirt tour that used simple rules and allowed all the drivers from all the area tracks to compete. The name he chose was Southern All Stars as he said that all the drivers were all stars at their home tracks and we were in the south, so why not Southern All Stars.

The dirt series grew from it’s early roots in the mid to late eighties, but Parker was keeping his eye on all types of racing and in 1989 he called his friend Ben Atkinson of Huntsville, AL., and the two of them developed the Southern All Stars Asphalt Series that has a strong 15 year run throughout the southeast.

These were the two main series that B J Parker has a hand in developing and to this day the Southern All Star Dirt Series is still the longest running regional tour for dirt late models. The Southern All Star Asphalt Series is no longer around but if you got to the asphalt tracks in the southeast many of them are still using the same rules that were developed with that series.

Parker was a thinker and could get more done with less than any other promoter out there, he had a hand in many other series of racing that was held under his name on the dirt side the Southern All Star 9:1 Topless Series, the Top Tracks Challenge Series that he and the late Mike Swims promoted and the Southern Thunder Tour. On the asphalt side there were the Pro Late Models and the Supertrucks, and the current Southern Superstars Short Track Series so he had his hand on everything and that is why he was so welled like among the whole racing community both dirt and asphalt alike.

The Southern All Stars lost their inventor, their mentor and their father today, but like B J said they will race when I am gone and that is what we are going to do.
53fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nice a man as I've ever met in this sport. Maybe he and Perry will get together and tell a few lies tonight. RIP BJ.
rolltide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news makes me sad. Always looked forward to BJ Parker and his Southern All Stars coming to town. I am so glad I got the chance to meet him and talk to him on several occasions. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.
west tn race fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the chance many years ago to see the BJ Parker dirt late models race on the Birmingham asphalt track , it was awesome to see those late models fly around on asphalt, Mr Parker will be missed, rest in peace.[/u]
danny eddings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am sad to hear this...He was quite a fellow...and loved racing....danny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BJ Parker did alot of good things for the Racing World>>>R.I.P.
THR Productions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly a sad day in short track racing in the South R.I.P. BJ
Thunderhill Raceway
&
Tennessee National Raceway
(931) 683-9DVD (9383)
(931) 922-0290
thrproductions@gmail.com
blondie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.J. will be missed by everyone that ever knew him. He was a wonderful man who always had a smile for me every time I saw him. He always had a joke for me and managed to make me laugh when I was feeling down. He loved racing and was a huge contributor to our sport. Not many like him around anymore....

Thoughts and prayers for his family,

Tony, Teresa and Jensen Ford
TNT Race Cars
CUZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news.I have seen some of the best racing out of the BJ Parker series over the past 20+ years that i have been going an watching racing .He will be missed.
TSR201

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to hear. I always enjoyed SAS dirt late models. I remember seeing the first few races of the series at NAS, Verona, Milan, Moulton and other tracks. Always competitive. BJ will be missed. God Bless his family.

Jeff D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: