midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

what type of dirt tracks do you like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racingnut35

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: what type of dirt tracks do you like? Reply with quote

I'm asking from a spectator point. Personally I like red clay. Been to many different types of tracks and I love seeing tracks take on rubber and getting faster as the night goes on especially during a 100 lap super late race. Sprint cars don't fare too well on this type of surface though. Whynot is by far my favorite as far as surface goes as that track just has the stickiest surface of any track I've ever seen when its tacky. El Dora and Knoxville are very fast surfaces even when dry slick even though they are different type of soil. Personally I'm not a big fan of gumbo because it gets so slick and slow after a lot of racing. The Mag is an awesome facility but when the track dries out it just gets too slow for my liking. Drivers love it but I've seen the cars get slower and slower as the night goes on. Two years ago Bloomquist ducked in the pits during the Clash at the Mag and came back out on the rear. He drove around the bottom of the entire track while basically just putting around and probably not turning the engine over 6 grand if that and still came in fourth. He was clicking off positions but it was just too slow. The Clash last year was kind of boring as Marlar took the lead on lap three or four and led the entire rest of the race as there was not much passing going on because the track was so slick. Just an opinion and yes I've seen even red clay tracks have a bad night too but overall its better. Of course I will add that it doesn't matter what surface a track has if the operator doesn't know how to work the track and Johnny Stokes is one of the best out there. I just wished the Mag had red clay.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting topic! To me it depends on the individual track. For a place like Riverside, I prefer the "incredibly tacky" surface it used to have before this current dude took it over. Devils Bowl on the other hand, is a much bigger track at .42 miles. The racing there is awful when it's tacky. It needs to slick off just a little bit and then the racing can be good. I love Knoxville's surface and it's usually a little better when it slicks off a little.
watchemgofast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface:Gumbo or black dirt..well packed & watered all week

Layout: I prefer tighter turns like a Haubstadt or Williams Grove versus rounded turn radius like Batesville,Bloomington or Eldora

Class preference: Winged or Non-Wing Sprints

Track food must: a good burger
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchemgofast wrote:
Surface:Gumbo or black dirt..well packed & watered all week

Layout: I prefer tighter turns like a Haubstadt or Williams Grove versus rounded turn radius like Batesville,Bloomington or Eldora

Class preference: Winged or Non-Wing Sprints

Track food must: a good burger

Interesting point on the winged and non-wing sprints. Most of the races I go to are winged sprint, but I would say the best racing I've seen has been non-wing.
4everblue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surface doesn't matter to me. I like a racy track, one where they run side by side all race long. These tracks aren't too common and they come with all different surfaces. I'm a late model/street stock fan and want good side by side action. Sprint fans look more for speed as they don't run side by side all race long. The best track in the mid south in my opinion was the old Dyersburg Speedway in it's original configuration, a fairly narrow track but when they waved the green those big old Monte Carlos would go five wide down in the corner. The raciest track in the area now is Crowley's Ridge but that's just my two cents.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4everblue wrote:
The surface doesn't matter to me. I like a racy track, one where they run side by side all race long. These tracks aren't too common and they come with all different surfaces. I'm a late model/street stock fan and want good side by side action. Sprint fans look more for speed as they don't run side by side all race long. The best track in the mid south in my opinion was the old Dyersburg Speedway in it's original configuration, a fairly narrow track but when they waved the green those big old Monte Carlos would go five wide down in the corner. The raciest track in the area now is Crowley's Ridge but that's just my two cents.

Sprint cars can run all race long side by side. That's also one of those things that depends on track configuration. They usually won't on a tacky track though. If you watch videos of features from places like Eagle Speedway in Nebraska and I-55 in Pevely, MO there seems to be no shortage of sprint cars running side by side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: