midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

Gateway Dirt Nationals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB38834

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Gateway Dirt Nationals Reply with quote

I know St. Louis might not be considered the Mid South, but I'm still surprised there isn't any talk of the November 29-Dec 1 race on here. To anyone who has thought of going I can say it is worth it. Although tickets and motel rooms might be hard to find now it is still something worth attending. Myself and two friends have made the trip every year since its start and have enjoyed every year. I'll admit the first year after I saw the track on Facebook a couple days before I was let down. I just didn't see how the racing could be very good. Honestly I was totally wrong. The first year to us was some of the best racing. The track held moisture all weekend and was tacky. As a fan I enjoy that more but to the racer I think they prefer it "rubbered up". Last year it was that way. They would work the top of the track and leave the bottom alone mostly. A couple drivers say you have to drive more on a track of that nature and it tears up less equipment which I guess is right. We have still enjoyed both times and both tracks. Amazingly at time there is four wide racing which on a track that small is something to see. Especially Shannon Babb hanging it out on the high side and demolishing the right side of his car. There is a lot of "hype" during this race with lights out, smoke and fireworks interviews which is pretty cool in dirt track racing. And don't forget the VP racing girls walking around in skin tight outfits shooting t-shirts out of cannons and taking pictures. The drivers get into it pretty good too. There is also a race of Champions on Thursday night that we missed last year, but won't this year. It puts several drivers who are past winners and series champions in a race for $5,000. They are trying to do some different things and I think its working. The crowd was much bigger last year than the first year. This year they are adding midget cars which I have never seen in person and I think will draw a whole different crowd. I'm sure they will be a good show in itself. This is a race that all the top drivers have been attending and is well worth checking out. I have no affiliation with any of it I just thought someone should mention it on here. And it's only two weeks away so there might still be time to go. Just one more chance to see a good show before the cabin fever hits. Just my two cents.
YAWANNAGO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it any better. I've been to both and the shows have been great. Looking forward to this years program.
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support. One of my favorite events that I get to announce each year.
DUN1AGAIN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, went last year and it was outstanding. I really like the afternoon start times. They keep the program moving and the racing was some of the best I've seen and the weather is always GREAT indoors. Looking forward to the midgets.
Snappy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to put this event on our calendar of must see events every year, appears the word got out seem to be more fans this year. Very Happy

Mike

Last edited by Snappy on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
4everblue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a must see event, very well done and totally different than any outdoor race. Hopefully one day they can get the dirt figured out. When it's not rough the racing can be pretty intense.
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend was a total grind and an uphill battle. Even though we didn’t have the exact track we would’ve liked, everybody dug in deep to do our best. The fans and racers were simply awesome.

The dirt came into the building much wetter than in the first two years, due to an early season snow. We just never were able to overcome it to get the track right.

Thanks for everyone's support.

- Ben
BB38834

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey don't sweat it Ben. This whole thing is crazy! Ya'll are stepping way out of the box to try and make this event continue to succeed. And I am grateful for that as a fan. We were talking about all that has to go in to getting this event going and just trying to figure out the logistics on getting the dirt and the equipment to downtown St. Louis would be a huge task. And then to get all the city council and dome officials to agree to this or that and get this permit and that permit. Heck I'm sure there are a lot of people that have to be persuaded that bringing a bunch of dirty rednecks to downtown St. Louis is a good idea. And then there is the task of getting the dirt ready. And yes it got rough this year but anyone can set and say how they would of done it. But in the end their idea might not of worked either. Fans and drivers will just have to be patient and hopefully each year officials will make needed changes to improve on the previous year. I do wonder how it would of gone if they would of run the big tractor down on the bottom a couple times to try and break up the ruts. But I'm not complaining, just curious. The racing was something you don't get to see everyday. Three wide indoor late model racing at the end of December! What else do you want. I was disappointed Shannon Babb didn't get to completely destroy his car in the feature lol. I am a fan and love to see him put it all on the line. Anyone who has never been should put it on the calendar to go see next year. It is worth the trip. We drive from Corinth and have been every year and plan on continuing. And bring that girl back next year who played the National Anthem on the violin. That was great. And also I swear I thought I remember ya'll taking a minute to recognize veterans in the stands the first year. I may be wrong but I thought you did. If not you might take a minute to suggest that for next year. I'm not criticizing I'm just saying because if not for them we might not even get to do these things we love. Thanks again for all the effort and hard work. Merry Christmas!
4everblue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spectacle was unmatched and the combination of using the jumbotron and multiple announcers was super! Hey, I've seen rougher track conditions many times at Riverside. It's certainly a must see event!
Snappy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Shelton wrote:
This weekend was a total grind and an uphill battle. Even though we didn’t have the exact track we would’ve liked, everybody dug in deep to do our best. The fans and racers were simply awesome.

The dirt came into the building much wetter than in the first two years, due to an early season snow. We just never were able to overcome it to get the track right.

Thanks for everyone's support.

- Ben

If you get the opportunity thank everyone involved in making this program a success. Job well done!!

Mike
WALLY WALLS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great trip to the dome..... cant wait till next year!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: