midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

5 Tips for Tracks to Make Shows More Fan Friendly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: 5 Tips for Tracks to Make Shows More Fan Friendly Reply with quote

I recently threw together a quick read offering five tips for tracks to make their shows more fan friendly.

Check it out:
https://www.onedirt.com/features/editorials-opinions/five-tips-to-help-tracks-run-more-fan-friendly-shows/

- Ben
drmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send this to Pevely. Talk about a track that was as good as any in the country (others views with far more experience than me). Now they go out of their way to drag a night out to sell beer.
wrabb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks have to stop relying on the back gate and promote again. In that regard we don’t need a dozen classes many similar looking classes could be combined (give weight breaks to even out the performance and give $$ to the top finisher in the lower division that was absorbed) 4 classes in a weekly show MAX. specials only two the headliner and a supporting class. And finally I know racers down south hate heats but you have to ask your self what would fans rather see? Time trials or a heat race? Go promote and get some sponsors to pay out in heats and I’d bet racers wouldn’t mind them so much.
DUN1AGAIN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the track owners would listen to this sound advice. Three to three and 1/2 hours, four classes and keep it entertaining and MOVING.
14car

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips Ben!
North Alabama Speedway has been following your advice and improving their program each week. Even when the ASCS, and SAS folks come to town we are out of there at a reasonable time, because the staff is very motivated and friendly. The flagman is a very motivated guy and is funny to boot. Keeps them moving!

Thanks Ben, and North Alabama Speedway!
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall this is excellent Ben, but I think one thing further could be addressed. Your article mentions the flow of the racing program, but is it possible that the only flow issue is the fact that they're running way too many classes to begin with?
Ben Shelton
Short Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeDirt wrote:
Overall this is excellent Ben, but I think one thing further could be addressed. Your article mentions the flow of the racing program, but is it possible that the only flow issue is the fact that they're running way too many classes to begin with?

Sometimes yes, but I've been to shows with three divisions that had a lot of downtime and drug out all night. Neither situation is any good if you want to be profitable in the long run.

- Ben
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrabb wrote:
Tracks have to stop relying on the back gate and promote again. In that regard we don’t need a dozen classes many similar looking classes could be combined (give weight breaks to even out the performance and give $$ to the top finisher in the lower division that was absorbed) 4 classes in a weekly show MAX. specials only two the headliner and a supporting class. And finally I know racers down south hate heats but you have to ask your self what would fans rather see? Time trials or a heat race? Go promote and get some sponsors to pay out in heats and I’d bet racers wouldn’t mind them so much.

Give that man a cigar. There is a phrase in stick and ball sports called roll out the ball. Which mean just open up and rely on word of mouth from your regular customers.

WE NEED MORE PROMOTION TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC and stop relying on current fans just showing up and telling people about the track.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've said here, midge, is vitally important in desiring to grow your fan base or watching it continue to decline. All of us that have spent our lives in and around the auto racing sports have seen a lot in our experiences at the race tracks but to me the one most stark is the shrinking of the fan base. About all of the tracks offer up special races, discount tickets and other goodies but their efforts toward growth are either non-existent or just poorly put into action. Preaching to the choir will not grow your church or in this case your fan base. Everybody still with us old gear heads need to be out promoting the auto sports at every opportunity that we can muster up. Other than just talking up the sports positively I've come a good way in making it my habit to always inviting a neighbor, a friend, a relative or anyone that I believe might become a race fan and all they need is a little exposure to the sights, sounds, smells and generally just feeling good about all that is happening in the track environment. The old crowds are NOT coming back. Building NEW crowds is the only option that we have.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoTrack wrote:
What you've said here, midge, is vitally important in desiring to grow your fan base or watching it continue to decline. All of us that have spent our lives in and around the auto racing sports have seen a lot in our experiences at the race tracks but to me the one most stark is the shrinking of the fan base. About all of the tracks offer up special races, discount tickets and other goodies but their efforts toward growth are either non-existent or just poorly put into action. Preaching to the choir will not grow your church or in this case your fan base. Everybody still with us old gear heads need to be out promoting the auto sports at every opportunity that we can muster up. Other than just talking up the sports positively I've come a good way in making it my habit to always inviting a neighbor, a friend, a relative or anyone that I believe might become a race fan and all they need is a little exposure to the sights, sounds, smells and generally just feeling good about all that is happening in the track environment. The old crowds are NOT coming back. Building NEW crowds is the only option that we have.

C'mon Psycho, are we really supposed to take advice on growing our churches from an athiest??? Laughing
racingnut35

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in racing in some sort or another for my entire 52 years and I have been saying over and over "way too many classes"!! Four classes minimum. Why is there a factory stock and a street stock? Why is there a crate model and a 602 sportsman? A new fan doesn't know the difference. Also, stinger class or whatever they call it is a joke. I understand that its a cheap way for a racer who wants to race but do the fans really care two craps about that junk? If I'm a promoter I would tell all the drivers in the drivers meeting that when your class is ready to be lined up and race then if you're not there then you don't race. Seen many times where announcer is steadily calling for a certain class to be in the staging lanes and drivers are just lolly gagging around. I will also add that there is something called curb appeal. I have been to tracks where the grass needs cutting and weedeating and just looks like crap. I know this is small stuff but all someone has to do is visit The Mag and look at that awesome facility and how well they keep it up. Like it or not a lot of fans like to come to a nice facility. Lastly, as someone on here said, if you have a big super late model or sprint car event then keep it down to about two support classes. Pike county speedway used to do this with the WOo sprint cars by having one support class and that's it. Off my soapbox now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: