midsouthracing.com Forum Index
Comp Cams
TCI
Dirty Girl Racewear Dirt Heads Crowley's Ridge Raceway
I-30 New Vision Your Ad
Your Ad George Kell Sign Co. Smileys Racing Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Subscribe 

Is the tide aturnin????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comment by Penske this weekend. Says it cost more to run a single car in Cup series than it cost to run 3 cars in IndyCar.

Sure that length of schedule has something to do with it. But it is still curious that a single car would cost so much compared to three highly technically advanced cars. Carbon Fiber parts on the Indy Cars are very costly. Only carbon fiber on stocks are hood, trunk lid and seats.

Bobby Rahal also had an interesting comment this weekend. Said there was already 34-35 car together for this year's 500. Meaning it is likely we will see the return of bump day.

Now if they would return it Sunday instead of Saturday. Far more entertaining to watch teams spend those last two hours on Sunday actually looking to make the race instead of top 9 cars battle it out to see who improves their position in qualifying.

Getting a brain fart on driver's name. But remember when driver was bumped from 500 late Sunday and then he went out to practice in hopes of finding more speed but instead crashed. While he was being treated in local hospital he found out that he made the race. Another driver was afraid of getting bumped so he took down his time and went out to improve on his qualifying time, but missed set up and could not get back up to speed.
JoeDirt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with OF on this one, noone really cares about IndyCar. As far as the "tide turnin'" I really don't think so. As far as IndyCar making gains over NASCAR that ship sailed a long time ago. Other than the 500 there isn't an Indy race I would watch even if I know it's on. I don't think most of us who like oval track racing really care for a series that is mostly about road racing and foreign drivers. I would rather watch American drivers myself. Chase Elliot, Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson are all names I can pronounce and relate to who they are. Especially true with Larson who I've actually seen race dirt. If Indycar had kept Tony Stewart and now had Larson and Blaney I'd be much more interested in watching.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeDirt wrote:
I gotta agree with OF on this one, noone really cares about IndyCar. As far as the "tide turnin'" I really don't think so. As far as IndyCar making gains over NASCAR that ship sailed a long time ago. Other than the 500 there isn't an Indy race I would watch even if I know it's on. I don't think most of us who like oval track racing really care for a series that is mostly about road racing and foreign drivers. I would rather watch American drivers myself. Chase Elliot, Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson are all names I can pronounce and relate to who they are. Especially true with Larson who I've actually seen race dirt. If Indycar had kept Tony Stewart and now had Larson and Blaney I'd be much more interested in watching.

You did hit on a few details which are key and which allowed NASCAR to surpass Indy Car in the first place.

Too many road races. In the late 70s and early 80s this was a key factor as Indy Car racing went away from the core of US racing fan base and toward clique fan base. I can remember when you went to a Saturday night race and what few racing T Shirts around back then were Indy Car drivers. There was no such thing as local T Shirts and no major dirt series to follow in the 60s and early 70s. It was either product T's (STP and the like) or Indy Car drivers.

The change to road racing also changed the line up of drivers with teams opting to go with those with sports car and road racing backgrounds and the racer coming up through USAC and other oval racing background was pushed out. Many do not remember that before the introduction of the rear engine car many of the races on the Indy Car schedule were actually ran on dirt tracks.

There was literally a perfect storm during a 3 year period which allowed NASCAR to take over.

The death of Elmer George(Tony Hulman's son in law) at the hand of his wife's alleged lover at the family farm soon after the 76 Indy 500.

The death of Tony Hulman the following year due to an aortic aneurysm while hospitalized due to exposure from not wearing an overcoat while riding in a parade in a fall festival.

Then the death of several USAC officials in a plane crash.

All of these created a leadership void which the team owners took advantage of in creating CART and eventually taking over operations of all Indy Car races except the 500.

Without this leadership void IMS most likely would have fought the legal battle longer when CART sued over their cars not being allowed to run in the 500 due to not being active USAC licensed teams. And eventually would have won the battle.

All of this accumulating with the major snow storm along the east coast which kept most of the north east US in doors and exposing them to the first live wire to wire coverage of the Daytona 500 in 1979. Which ended with Petty winning again and the infamous Allison brothers and Cale Yarborough fist fight on the apron of the track.

Too many changes and upheaval in Indy Car right when NASCAR was getting it's first national exposure. Everything just fell into place and as they say the rest is history.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still enjoy and watch the Indy cars.......when they race on the ovals Shoot, I pass right by Barber's 30+ weeks a year on the way to TST, have not gone when the series comes to Leeds. Each May I still follow and view the Indy 500 as that is the biggun' still in my view for oval action. Used to listen to the race on radio in the 60s' as well.

Late Model Mark
"A Nobody Who Still Follows Indy Oval Racing." Very Happy
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good race for most part till ICS screwed up at the last. Race control pulled it's usual screw up. Pace car still had lights flashing and then pulled off the track on the last restart catching some teams by surprise and leading to crash that took out the leader.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another NHRA sellout at the Gatornationals, some race, wild unpredictable action. Nitro is amazing, always has been.

Late Model Mark
Talladega Short Track Announcer
Oldfart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late_Model_Mark wrote:
Another NHRA sellout at the Gatornationals, some race, wild unpredictable action. Nitro is amazing, always has been.

Late Model Mark
Talladega Short Track Announcer

Gators is always a big crowd and big field. Still didn't have a full field of Pro cars but that is just a sign of the times. I went to the motorcross race in St Louis and that place was rocking. Big crowd and plenty of entries. I think motorcross might soon be the biggest crowd at any race with the exception of Daytona 500 and Indy 500.
PsychoTrack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just something special about the Indy 500 that tends to attract the attention of thousands that do not watch or keep up with any other Indycar races at all. I don't keep up with the Indycars but I just couldn't stand to miss the big show.
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoTrack wrote:
There is just something special about the Indy 500 that tends to attract the attention of thousands that do not watch or keep up with any other Indycar races at all. I don't keep up with the Indycars but I just couldn't stand to miss the big show.

0.8 this past week which is not far off their normal numbers on ABC/ESPN and up from five years ago when it was on NBCSN.

Rumor is ABC is ending their contract with ICS after the current contract expires. Could mean that for the first time since it has been broadcasted nationally that the 500 may not be on ABC family of networks.
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Fart, you are wrong sir about the full fields. Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock Car, Pro Stock Bike, Pro Modified, Top Alcohol and so on all had full fields. Facts are facts. Sellouts are sellouts. Whether you like or not, due to you dislikes or likes, the NHRA National event trail is doing ok. Great TV package, All Access and so on, it is okie-dokie in 17. Heck they even had over double the field for Top Fuel Harley. And to debunk your claim, quotas were filled in all the Sportsman classes except Competition Eliminator. The Factory Showdown had 35 pre-entries. Any questions sir?

I have to say I very much respect your views, just this one was off a smidge, he said smidge. Very Happy

Late Model Mark
TST Racecaller
Late_Model_Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And OK in 18 Too!

Late Model Mark
watchemgofast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know your NHRA well Late Model Mark & your right..there's nothing like nitro fuel racing.

I sure miss the stop in Memphis..it was a staple every year on my racing schedule as a fan. Maybe one day it will be back Confused
NeverTrustAMidget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchemgofast wrote:
You know your NHRA well Late Model Mark & your right..there's nothing like nitro fuel racing.

I sure miss the stop in Memphis..it was a staple every year on my racing schedule as a fan. Maybe one day it will be back Confused

Not unless MIR is sold again. The owners of the facility also own the IHRA. MIR is an IHRA track and the NHRA will not be allowed to run there.
Oldfart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverTrustAMidget wrote:
watchemgofast wrote:

Not unless MIR is sold again. The owners of the facility also own the IHRA. MIR is an IHRA track and the NHRA will not be allowed to run there.

Nice post there captain obvious.
Oldfart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late_Model_Mark wrote:
Old Fart, you are wrong sir about the full fields. Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock Car, Pro Stock Bike, Pro Modified, Top Alcohol and so on all had full fields. Facts are facts. Sellouts are sellouts. Whether you like or not, due to you dislikes or likes, the NHRA National event trail is doing ok. Great TV package, All Access and so on, it is okie-dokie in 17. Heck they even had over double the field for Top Fuel Harley. And to debunk your claim, quotas were filled in all the Sportsman classes except Competition Eliminator. The Factory Showdown had 35 pre-entries. Any questions sir?

I have to say I very much respect your views, just this one was off a smidge, he said smidge. Very Happy

Late Model Mark
TST Racecaller

My mistake on the field size. I read an article on Competition Plus that talked about a couple of Pro Stockers that might not attend but they made the trip. The Gators have always had the largest sportsman field beside Indy. Unfortunately if you look at the next race, full fields will not be there in the pro classes. I predict that will be the norm except when they hit Indy but you never know.

As far as dislike of NHRA, nothing could be more incorrect. While you posted you have attended races at 14 or so National Event tracks, I have made passes at 8 of the present National Event tracks and 3 more that are no longer on the schedule. I started out at Lakeland many years ago and raced sportsman class on the NHRA schedule for many years. The leadership of NHRA has made many wrong decisions and have done the Sportsman and some of the pro classes wrong. This goes back to eliminating Pro Stock Truck after many teams had already bought equipment and secured sponsors. From losing mainstream networks for many years as far as TV goes to purses not increasing for a number of years to the cost of the participant increasing with no increase in winnings. Besides Bruton Smith and Bader, very few track owners have the ability to properly market the sport and NHRA has done very little to grow the sport.

I want the sport to regain the popularity it enjoyed years ago but many things must happen for that to be the case. Changes need to be made at the top and just maybe that will shake things up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    midsouthracing.com Forum Index -> Midsouth Racing Scene Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: