Joined: 16 Jun 2016
|Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 am Post subject: Miley Makes History Winning First ULTIMATE NE Race At PPMS
|IMPERIAL, PA – Jared Miley of Pittsburgh, PA made history Saturday night by taking the $3,000 victory in the first-ever ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series North East Region 30-lap Main Event on Saturday night at Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway driving the Colussy Chevrolet Rocket.
Along with the history making win in the first-ever ULTIMATE NE race, Miley will now be a guaranteed starter in PPMS’ premier event, the $20,000-to-win 29th Annual Pittsburgher 100 on October 6-7.
Miley took the lead on lap 14 and then never looked back to take the checkered flag with a 5.501 second margin of victory. Keith Barbara of South Park, PA finished second in the Viper Risk Management Black Diamond, and Alex Ferree of Valencia, PA took the third spot in the Frankland Racing Supply Rocket.
Tommy Beck of Sewickley, PA came home in the fourth spot after starting tenth driving the Delmont Instant Oil Change Rocket, and picked up a $100 bonus as the Dave Poske’s Performance Parts Hard Charger of the Race Award. Tommy Schirnfoffer of Dormont, PA in the Leo Phillips Racing Rocket was fifth.
Tony Mussolino of Scott Township, PA finished sixth in the Deep Well Services Rocket and seventh went to Jon Hodgkiss of Kennedy, PA driving the Hodgkiss Construction Pierce. Matt Dobnak of West Mifflin, PA drove the Dobb’s Automotive Special to an eighth-place finish, and Chris Schneider of Lower Burrell, PA was ninth in the Schneider Racing Special. Steve Pyeritz of Brentwood, PA rounded out the top ten in the Horhut Tree Experts Rocket.
In preliminary action, Miley was the Fast Qualifier with a lap around the ½-mile dirt oval in 18.627 seconds. Miley picked up a $125 Product Certificate from Keyser Manufacturing. The two eight-lap Heat Races were won by Ferree and Barbara.
Ferree was also the Group 1 Fast Qualifier to earn the pole position for the main event, with Group 2 Fast Qualifier Miley starting on the outside of row one. Ferree took the lead at the start of the race followed by Miley, Barbara, Mussolino, and Beck, who made quick work of moving from the tenth starting spot and into the top five.
The first of four caution flags came out on lap nine for a serious accident involving Chad Hollenbeck of Kingsley, PA. Hollenbeck complained of neck pain, so extra time and effort was taken to carefully extricate him from his Jamie Griffin Logging Black Diamond, and he was transported to a local medical facility.
On the restart, Schirnhoffer was able to get by Beck to take over the fifth spot behind Ferree, Miley, Barbara, and Mussulino. As the race approached the halfway point, Miley moved up to challenge Ferree for the lead.
Miley passed Ferree for the lead on lap 14, but before he could put any distance on Ferree, the caution flag came out on lap 15. The restart was disastrous for Ferree, as he dropped from second to fifth. The field was slowed by caution two more times on lap 21 and on lap 22. On the restart to begin the eight lap dash to the finish, Mussolino fell from fourth the sixth.
Miley checked out on the field, while Ferree came back to get by Beck in the closing laps to take a top three finish. The next race for the ULTIMATE NE Region will be right back at Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway on Saturday night, August 26 for a 30-lap, $3,000-to-win, $400-to-start race.
Check out the official website for the ULTIMATE Super Late Model Series North East Region at www.ultimatesupers.com/NEHome, and continue to follow our social media networks on Facebook at ULTIMATE North East Super Late Model Series and on Twitter @UltimateNorth to get up to the minute news and details as they become available.
OFFICIAL RESULTS OF INAUGURAL RACE AT PITTSBURGH’S PENNSYLVANIA MOTOR SPEEDWAY IN IMPERIAL, PA ON 7/15/17:
POS STRT CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN LAPS $ WON
1. 2 H1 Jared Miley Pittsburgh, PA 30 $3,000
2. 3 17 Keith Barbara South Park, PA 30 $1,500
3. 1 10 Alex Ferree Valencia, PA 30 $1,000
4. 10 91 Tommy Beck Sewickley, PA 30 $800
5. 8 8 Tommy Schirnhoffer Dormont, PA 30 $700
6. 4 36 Tony Mussolino Scott Township, PA 30 $600
7. 5 69 Jon Hodgkiss Kennedy, PA 30 $550
8. 9 42 Matt Dobnak West Mifflin, PA 30 $525
9. 7 55 Chris Schneider Lower Burrell, PA 30 $500
10. 13 38 Steve Pyeritz Brentwood, PA 29 $475
11. 11 13 Bill Yohey Monongahela, PA 29 $450
12. 14 W3 John Wayne Weaver Commodore, PA 29 $425
13. 15 18 Chris Ladner Burgettstown, PA 25 $410
14. 12 75 Colton Flinner Allison Park, PA 8 $400
15. 6 4ds Chad Hollenbeck Kingsley, PA 7 $400
FAST TIME: Miley, 18.627 Seconds
LEAD CHANGES: 1
LAP LEADERS: Ferree, 1-13; Miley, 14-30
LAPS LED: Miley, 17; Ferree, 13
DAVE POSKE’S PERFORMANCE PARTS HARD CHARGER OF THE RACE: Beck (started 10th and finished 4th)
MARGIN OF VICTORY: 5.501 Seconds
TIME OF THE RACE: 41 Minutes and 42.830 Seconds
NEXT EVENT: August 26, Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway, 30-laps, $3,000-to-win, $400-to-start.
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 10 Alex Ferree Valencia, PA 19.067
2. 36 Tony Mussolino Scott Township, PA 19.429
3. 69 Jon Hodgkiss Kennedy, PA 19.861
4. 55 Chris Schneider Lower Burrell, PA 20.088
5. 42 Matt Dobnak West Mifflin, PA 20.704
6. 13 Bill Yohey Monongahela, PA 21.274
7. 38 Steve Pyeritz Brentwood, PA 21.596
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. H1 Jared Miley Pittsburgh, PA 18.627
2. 17 Keith Barbara South Park, PA 18.948
3. 91 Tommy Beck Sewickley, PA 19.302
4. 4Ds Chad Hollenbeck Kingsley, PA 19.312
5. 75 Colton Flinner Allison Park, PA 19.445
6. 8 Tom Schirnhoffer Dormont, PA 19.572
7. 18 Chris Ladner Burgettstown, PA 22.587
8. W3 John Wayne Weaver Commodore, PA NT
HEAT RACES – 8 Laps:
1ST HEAT: 1. Ferree; 2. Mussolino; 3. Hodgkiss; 4. Schneider; 5. Dobnak; 6. Yohey; 7. Pyeritz.
2ND HEAT: 1. Barbara; 2. Miley; 3. Hollenbeck; 4. Schirnhoffer; 5. Beck; 6. Flinner; 7. Weaver; 8. Lander.
THE 2017 MARKETING PARTNERS FOR THE ULTIMATE NORTHEAST SUPER LATE MODEL SERIES ARE HOOSIER RACING TIRE, AMERICAN RACER TIRES, VP RACING FUEL, BEYEA HEADERS, ROCKET CHASSIS, TNT RACE CARS, ARIZONA SPORT SHIRTS, ROCK AUTO.COM, AND THOMAS CLARKE PERFORMANCE.